Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Kitchen



I love my kitchen...for LOTS of reasons actually! I love all of the cabinet space, the 2 glassed cabinets so I can display my china, AND I love that it's a MASSIVE room! I love what our kitchen has become.

Do you remember this post where I mentioned that when we moved in everything in the house was painted peach? Well, the kitchen and her cabinets were no exception! This was one of the last rooms in our house that we tackled. We dreaded painting the cabinets, but it actually was not that difficult. We loved how they turned out and were so glad that we painted them. As I packed up some pictures this week, I found a picture that I had taken of our son shortly after we moved here. The picture was taken in the kitchen, and those GLORIOUS peach cabinets w/BRASS handles were GLEAMING in the background. Speechless was I; really glad we painted those cabinets (and ditched the brass cabinet pulls).

Before my husband and I moved to Nashville, I worked at a university and coordinated service project trips for the students. Most of these trips were over Spring Break, and several of these trips occurred in other countries. I had the privilege of going on two international trips a year. Before taking that job, I actually lived for a year in Egypt. Transitioning to a stay-at-home mom, I wanted some way to see those places and remember them; primarily, I wanted to remember the people that I'd met in the dozens of countries that I saw. I had this CRAZY idea to display my favorite pictures from these international travels; of course, the shots had to be in black and white. I wasn't sure how to "pull off" my crazy idea UNTIL we bought this house! With such a massive kitchen and consequently, massive wall space, my idea became a reality! It helps that my favorite color is gray, so we "grayed" the kitchen, which perfectly coordinated with all of my black and white photos. I love that I can see all of these beautiful places and people each day! I get to relive each trip on a daily basis!