Wednesday, March 10, 2010

The original owners

330 Lynn Drive was built in the 1960s, and when we bought the house 4+ years ago, we bought it from the ORIGINAL OWNERS! Isn't that amazing?!?! We'll call this family, the original owners, the Smiths. When we closed on the house, Mrs. Smith, who was now a widow in her 90s, came to the closing. It was wonderful!

I think of Mr. and Mrs. Smith often. I wish I had gotten the opportunity to know them and to learn more stories about our house. After living here, though, I've learned a few things about Mr. and Mrs. Smith. First, they built this house well. I often tell my husband that this house is built like a tank! It's held up well these 50+ years. It appears that anytime they had to repair something in the house, they didn't "cut corners." T hey loved their little house. Second, Mrs. Smith LOVED flowers. In the backyard, she has a special flower bed, which is circular and surrounded by bricks, and each Spring purple hyacinths and buttercups burst forth from the ground. I was surprised to meet these beautiful creations our first Spring in the house. They're beautiful, and I was excited to see them bursting forth again as I played with our boys outside today. Finally, they must have loved the color peach. Ever inch of every wall was covered with that paint color when we moved in. We had to part ways with that paint; we weren't that sad about it, though. Hopefully, if Mr. and Mrs. Smith could look at the house now, they would approve of all the many changes that we made when we moved in.