Thursday, March 18, 2010

Old houses = fun, vintage bathroom tile

I remember the day that we first looked at 330 Lynn Drive. My first thought was, "Wow, everything's peach!" No, wait a minute, that wasn't my first thought! My first thought and instinct was to run to the bathroom to check out the bathroom tile. You see, I knew one thing about old houses, particularly those built in the 1950s & 1906s--they all have crazy, funky, vintage tile. Again, these crazy ceramic squares are what I love about the bathrooms in old houses; they add to the character of the home. What fun stories to be remembered and told about them!

When we were first married, we bought a teeny, tiny 2 bedroom house built in the early 1950s. I was as equally attached to that house as I am to 330 Lynn Drive. What fun memories of our little newlywed home. One of our favorite memories about THAT old house was the PEPTO BISMAL PINK bathroom tile. Those of you who've been in or owned a 1950s house know EXACTLY what I'm talking about! We first did not know what to think about the pink tile (especially my "manly" husband), but the black accent tile, which outlined the pink helped the bathroom evolve into a chic, vintage space. Imagine the fun I had filling it with black and white pictures that I took while working overseas!

So, stepping into 330 Lynn Drive--circa 1961--I quickly ran down the hall to the bathroom. I was ecstatic to see the gleam of vintage tile shining & smiling at me. This bathroom was not quite as shocking as the pepto bismal pink! We had two different shades of brown to work with, so I knew we would have fun accenting them! (Can you say, "oil, rubbed bronze"?!?!?) We were able to find a light fixture with Tiffany glass in the same shades of brown and an oil rubbed bronze faucet to spruce up the vanity. What fun to preserve the character of our home and tie in some modern updates. Tear out the vintage tile and start over? No way! No one would recognize our old home with a new bathroom. Well, I guess we could have, but we wanted to maintain as much of her original features as we could.

My husband and I talk about the bathrooms of our old houses like old war stories. We now have had pepto bismal pink and retro brown. We're hoping to find an old house in our new town, so who knows what color we'll have next! Sea Foam Green, Goldenrod, Powder Blue....oh yeah! Those could be next!